At the request of several readers, I’ve been working on a series of posts about managing files and other electronic information. Here’s what I’ve covered so far, and what I intend to cover.
- My computer geography : how my computer looks and is set up, as background?
- Self-awareness and philosophy : how do you want to do things? What works for you?
- Naming : things to consider when naming files, and some options for different preferences.
- What to keep : What files do you need to keep around, and what could you erase or back-up somewhere less convenient?
Task management posts: a series about managing all the things I need and want to do, with a particular focus on tools that help in high-interrupt settings (like being a librarian, tech support specialist, etc.)
- Theories and approaches – thinking through what might work best for you.
- Thoughts about different tools (with some sample screenshots)
- What I actually do: my system (as of May 2011)
- Task management: high-interrupt setting notes + suggestions
Planned for the (not so distant) future:
- Tagging for ease and clarity
- Process geeking (why I call it that, and how I do it.)
I also cheerfully take suggestions – feel free to drop me a note via the contact form.